Friday, March 19, 2010

Why you're weird.

Late last night I was reading something I wrote a little over a year ago. I’m not going to post it here but it speaks of how things can become mottled and discolored right before our eyes, and yet, basically unnoticed. It moves on to explain that, through understanding, we should not judge ourselves or others on our past works.
Honestly I think it’s one of the best things I’ve ever written. Or at least I appreciate it the most because it has so much meaning.

I’m not sure why, but after I read it I was reminded of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. I know…that’s weird.
The principle is applied to physics and its premise is that the more precisely you locate the position of something, the less you know about its path.

That’s a hard enough concept to grasp and since I’m damn sure no physicist I began to think how this principle could apply to people, personalities, situations, relationships and the like.

I think that there is no thought, intention or ideal that can be precisely established.
In other words, nothing is certain. There is risk in everything.

We all feel compelled to move in a certain direction and I applaud that but there are many times I have followed that compulsion in which I failed to measure the potential cost of my direction. The cost was revealed later. I am not saying one should blatantly question a given path but we should all consider: Is what we move towards more valuable than what we have?
Then again, nothing is certain. But by that logic, why would we move at all?

I think I just gave myself a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment